Makita has a long history stretching almost a century back to 1915 with it's beginnings as a small repair shop in Nagoya, Japan.
Since then, Makita has expanded across the globe, with representation in over 150 countries and growing!
This timeline represents some of the outstanding moments within that history.
To view, click and drag the timeline left and right.
- 1915 - Founded Makita Electric Works (proprietorship) in Nagoya City. Began selling and repairing lighting equipment, motors, and transformers.
- 1935 - First exported electric generators and motors to the Soviet Union.
- 1938 - Incorporated the proprietorship's business form and established Makita Electric Works, Inc.
- 1945 - Moved the plant, in an attempt to avoid air raid, to the current head office in Sumiyoshi-Cho, Anjo-City.
- 1958 - Started marketing portable electric planers, the first product in Japan.
- 1959 - Transformed into an electric power tool manufacturer. Initiated exports of electric power tools with shipment of 1300 hand-held electric planers to Australia.
- 1962 - Changed the trade name to Makita Electric Works, Ltd.
- 1963 - Became an entirely debt-free company.
- 1965 - Celebrated 50th anniversary.
- 1968 - Listed the company in the 2nd Section of Tokyo and Osaka Stock Exchanges.
- 1969 - 6500D battery-powered drill (first rechargeable power tool).
- 1970 - Designated to the 1st Section of Tokyo, Nagoya and Osaka Stock Exchanges. Established Makita U.S.A. Inc in the United States.
- 1972 - Established Makita Electric (UK) Ltd. in the United Kingdom.
- 1978 - Launched 6010D rechargeable drill (first nickel cadmium battery tool).
- 1981 - Launched AN5000 pneumatic nailer and AC6001 air compressor (first air tools).
- 1984 - Established Makita Corporation of America in the United States.
- 1989 - Three power tools designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro are exhibited at the Word Design Exposition held in Nagoya City. Established Makita Manufacturing Europe Ltd. in the United Kingdom.
- 1991 - Acquired Sachs Dolmar GmbH, chain saw manufacturer in Germany. Started production of power tools in Europe (UK)
- 1995 - Established Makita International Europe Ltd. in the United Kingdom.
- 1997 - 6213D rechargeable driver-drill exhibited at the Chicago Hardware Show (first nickel hydride battery tool).
- 2003 - Finished construction of new corporate headquarters.
- 2005 - Launched TD130D (first Lithium-ion Battery tool). Celebrated 90th anniversary.